Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Welcome to prudentMUSIC!

Hi Ya'll,

Welcome to my little pet project - prudentMUSIC. Derived from an inside joke (this site is absolutely prudent) the goal of this site is to distribute all my favorite music of the moment to my friends and their friends. I know I know, it's not overly ethical to steal music, but I figure the more ears hear these albums, the bands will still prosper in having their music passed along and hopefully someday we'll buy merch or go to a show of theirs. I think it will eventually work out to be win-win, right?

Anyhow, to get things going you'll need a BitTorrent client, I prefer MuTorrent it is so easy to use, lightweight, a quick and free install! For you MAC users (ha, you know I am rolling my eyes now, suckers), check out Transmission.

Don't know what BitTorrent is? Have you been in a closet? BT is the best and most ingenious method of sharing files on the internet... P2P is old school, BT totally rules. For information on BitTorrent just google it, or read about it on WikiPedia. For a really comprehensive FAQ, check out Brian's BT-FAQ and Guide. And to learn how to open ports and things on your router, check out PortForward (this is key to enabling the best upload and download speeds).

With all of this being said... ALWAYS aim to have your BT ratio close or above 1.0! You gotta give some to get some, so always leave your BT client open and running day and night! The more users seeding the quicker the downloads will go :D

Now that you have your BT client installed and good to go, it's time to go nuts with the downloading! I have a backlog of albums I want to post, I will do this slowly over the following weeks. So what I've been doing over the past 4 or 5 year (since I found out about BitTorrent) is been reading and downloading music. I read tons of online mags (Pitchfork, NME, Spin, etc) and my right hand guides which you should definitely bookmark are:
  • Metacritic - This site is totally sweet an amazing. They amass reviews of music (well movies, books, tv shows and games too) from 10-20 different sources and produce a numerical score for each release! So sweet! So always be checking that out. It's a little mainstream so your indie bands from Halifax likely won't make it on the site (well Buck65 did, so you figure it out).

  • All Music Guide - Ha, most of my friends are amazed at the random things I know about bands. Well this is the IMDB of music! It's the music bible -- you can find just about any band on here, their discography, biography, similar artists and other bands those band members may be in. So goodness, if you like the band check them out quick, find out what they're about, where they're from it takes two seconds!
Ok, well that's about it for now. I will get to posting albums real soon here. Oh, and for some other good BitTorrent websites, be sure to check these out:

Drop me a line if you have any questions! And feel free to pass the musical love around.




No comments: