Friday, November 30, 2007

Chromeo - Fancy Footwork

Oh how I love thee Chromeo. I vividly recall stumbling across Chromeo during my final exams in 2005... I was sitting studying away, rocking out to DFA1979 and figured I would check out their label-mates on Vice Records. Lo and behold Chromeo's entire album was streaming on the Vice site. I was immediately hooked (yes, even though it was a low-quality flash-based stream), I let that album play straight for 3-4 hours I am sure. There insanely retro and hilarious beats were so retro and cool it was refreshing. I've always had a love for that 80s analogue sound, and Chromeo delivered directly to my aural pleasure. These Montreal boys, nicked Dave One and Pee Thug, create hilariously catchy tracks which will keep any party bumping. This, their latest album (Fancy Footwork) has seen mainstream success -- but definitely do not overlook 2005's "She's in Control", perhaps an even better album. Here's the main mantra of Chromeo: "From the beginning, Chromeo made it clear that artful detachment, cheesy electro-funk breakdowns, and gleaming plastic beats -- not serious intent or aggressive musical regime change -- were the name of their well-dressed game." So do yourself a favor and download BOTH of these albums now, and you'll be guaranteed to have a fun weekend soundtrack.

Download 2007's "Fancy Footwork" here and 2005's "She's in Control" here.

Here's the review for "She's in Control" on MetaCritic.
And here's there bio on AMG.

Check out the awesome track "Bonafide Lovin'" from "Fancy Footwork" here:

No comments: